The Mansion, formerly the Woodcrest Mansion, is the centerpiece of the Woodcrest Estate.
Designed by Philadelphia architect Horace Trumbauer, the elaborate Elizabethan Tudor-style mansion was constructed between 1901 and 1903 for financial leader James W. Paul Jr., son-in-law of famed Philadelphia financier Anthony Drexel.
The Pauls hosted numerous events at Woodcrest, including the 1909 wedding of Mary Astor Paul to millionaire Charles A. Munn of Washington, D.C.
In 1925, members of the Paul family sold the Mansion and 120 acres of the Woodcrest Estate to Dr. John T. Dorrance, inventor of the formula for condensed soup and president of the Campbell Soup Company.
In 1953, the Missionary Sisters of the Sacred Heart of Jesus (MSCs) purchased the property for use as an “Orphanage and Retreat House.” Four years later, the MSCs founded Cabrini College, which enrolled 43 women in its first class.
The Mansion was named to the National Register of Historic Places in October 2009.
Today, the Mansion is still the centerpiece of the campus and home to many administrative offices, including:
the Office of the President
Marketing and Communications