New Student Technology Checklist
Buy a New Computer (Optional)
- Use your new userid and password
- Finish paperwork before arriving on campus
Install the School's Antivirus Software, Symantec Endpoint Protection (cabrini.edu/download)
- This is required if you live on campus; if you commute, you can download Symantec, which has a free updates subscription that doesn't expire, or you can use your own updated antivirus
Install Operating System Updates
- An up-to-date operating system is required for on-campus internet access. For Windows machines, go to the Start menu, select All Programs, then select Windows Updates. For Mac machines, go to the Apple menu and select Software Update.
Pack an Ethernet Cable
- Using an ethernet cable is the fastest way to access the internet at Cabrini; pack your own ethernet cable to use in your dorm room or buy one at the bookstore when you arrive.
Register your Computer for Wired Internet in your Dorm (dormproxy.cabrini.edu)
- Plug the ethernet cable into the network jack on the wall (if there is more than one jack and you're having trouble connecting, try another jack: the correct jack may have a computer icon on it). Complete the ResNet registration process to receive internet: make sure Windows/Mac updates are installed, make sure Symantec is installed and updated.
- For more information and troubleshooting guides, please see our ResNet Internet Access information page.
Familiarize Yourself with Useful Online Resources